twitter
    Click the Bird to Follow Me on Twitter :)

Why I love my friends...old, and new.

Today, I have a day off from work. I usually wake up around 8, 8:15 to be at work by 9am. Today, I didn't have to be up at any specific time, so I didn't set my alarm...I decided to allow my body to regulate itself and wake me up whenever it felt was the right time. Oddly enough, I woke up at around 7:45am. I was confused...lol. I started catching up on The Secret Life of the American Teenager, before I decided to update my facebook status.

*Brief Sidenote*
Similar to my last post, outlining the purpose of my blog/life, I love watching shows like The Secret Life of the American Teenager because they give a really in depth portrait of the different factors that go along with whatever issue is being faced, which in the case of this show, is teenage pregnancy.

Back to the regularly scheduled blogging...lol. So, I updated my facebook status to say the following: "Reggie Leonard is wondering why I'm up before I usually need to wake up, and it's my day off..." After having it up for a while, one of my newer friends, T.H., responded by commenting, "I prayed you would become a morning person :)" After reading that comment, I couldn't stop smiling.

The background on that comment stemmed from a conversation that took place after playing capture the flag on Tuesday (a few days ago), which involved me saying that I was definitely NOT a morning person at all. My friend, T.H., said that she was a morning person. Not that much background, I know...lol.

It doesn't seem like her comment on my status was "that serious," but honestly, I was really impressed by that statement. Impressed in the sense that it really left an impression on me...it made me feel something. It made me feel remembered, thoughts about, cared about, and it made me smile. I'm not sure if she was joking, or if she actually prayed for me to become a morning person, but either way, the fact that she thought about that, and remembered that I wasn't a morning person, and would have even considered praying for me meant more than I would have ever thought that it would.

I'm thinking it partially has to do with the fact that I'm a really self-reliant person, so when people "pray" for me, it often feels like an unecessary, but welcomed gesture. To further explain, I remember a friend telling me that I did well on something, and instead of saying "thank you", I said "I know." She laughed, and said that it was odd, because she's never heard anyone respond like that before...and that most people would've just said thanks. I went on to explain how in the past, its been hard for me to respond to congratulations from people, because I work to obtain a specific result, and so when I do good at something, its what I expected to happen...because I worked for it to happen. It was the same thing with prayer. I figured, sure, you could pray for me...it's not like it could hurt anything...but I'm gonna make sure that this happens the way that I want it to. Thankfully, God's been showing me these thought processes and non-ideal ways of being, and He's been growing me a lot in these areas.

So with that understanding, it meant a lot that my friend would think to do something as large as interrupting the God of the universe, on my behalf, to ask for something as seemingly miniscule as me becoming a morning person(in comparison to other things like curing diseases, ending world hunger, stopping human trafficking, etc...). Even if all she said was "God...make Reggie a morning person." I'm sure that T.H. didn't think about it in these terms, or even as being this deep, but it honestly made me feel honored, to know that a friend, a new friend at that, approached GOD...for me. Thanks.

P.S. It really goes to show that a small gesture goes a LONG way.

0 comments:

Post a Comment